Warm Bodies - Isaac Marion Another zombie apocalypse story, but this one is a little different...

R is our hero, a zombie with a good heart but a horrible appetite. R is living in a hive of other zombies out at the airport. He tries to get along with everyone and has been given a wife and a couple of kids to take care of. Kids are not natural at the zombie life and have to be taught to hunt and how to kill. They go to zombie school and learn the basics. Anyhow, R is a deep thinker, often pondering on what life is supposed to be like for the Dead. One day he goes to the nearby city to hunt and ends up taking a Living girl, Julie, back to the hive with him. He doesn't really know why he does this, he only knows that he must keep Julie safe. As he gets to know Julie, and she him, R begins to change. He starts to dream again. He begins to have some memories, and he begins to speak in full sentences. Is it something about the relationship he has begun with Julie that has caused this change? Will it affect other zombies the same way?

Yeah, yeah, I know. I read a lot of zombie books, but this one was really good. It sort of reminded me of "Raising Stony Mayhall" in that the zombies are humanized instead of just being monsters. I liked R and was rooting for him and Julie. And M, R's friend at the airport, was funny, at total douchebag, but very funny. Loved the ending! Recommended!