Aftertime - Sophie Littlefield Cass Dollar is a survivor and already through her third life. She managed to hang on through her first life, the one Before, though she struggled with alcoholism and made poor life choices. Then she managed to keep herself together in the Aftertime, when the world has fallen prey to bio-terrorism and failed governments. She tries to eke out an existence for herself and her little girl Ruthie until that fateful day that she becomes separated from her baby. The day that the "Beaters" capture her and she herself becomes one of the infected. Now, by some miracle, she finds herself back in her former state of mind, but lost and far from where she was taken, and completely frantic to get back so she can take care of Ruthie. This is the story of Cass and her journey back to her daughter.

While I didn't completely dislike this story, I wasn't as engaged with Cass as I had hope. It seemed that she was lacking something genuine in her feelings for her daughter. And this guy, Smoke? Ugh, I just couldn't stand it that she was so detached from her daughter and yet she fell all over this stranger right from the beginning. I just didn't relate well to this woman at all. Maybe it's just me though...